Showing Your True Self in Your Work
I get it, sometimes it’s hard to show your true self in your work. We live in a world where we are taught that hyper-curation is the key to success.
However, what if people want to know the human behind the account?
What if a business wanted to hire a specific personality for their brand that created that work?
I think these are strong questions you should ask yourself to see if that is the missing factor in building your brand. This can also help attract an audience that cares not only just for your work, but for you as well.
Someone who I think is an absolute pro at this is my friend Adam Vicarel who operates Vicarel Studios out of Denver, CO. He’s amassed a large audience from his design, direction and outdoors vibe he pours into his lettering and branding.
The OG’s of Instagram Lettering
Adam and I go back to the early days of Instagram lettering where both of our work was dog shit. We become good friends over the years and I’ve watched him blossom to a point where he’s full-time freelance landing clients like Lennox Air and Sharpie to name a few. He also does public speaking and teaches lettering workshops all while making sure he has ample enough time to disconnect from the daily hustle to enjoy life at a slow pace traveling.
I felt spoiled and humbled to have this conversation as he vomits a heavy dose of value that I know you’ll enjoy as much as I did.
In this episode, we dive deep into:
- the sunshine and rainbows mixed with the dirt and wounds of freelancing
- turning on the business switch when owning your creative business
- writing proposals, pricing your work and pitching
- showing the human side of your brand
- working your ass off to be being ready when the big leagues call
- and so much more…
Adam is doing some amazing things and if you’re wanting to learn hand lettering then I highly advise checking out his online Hand Lettering Course for Beginners for
Also, be sure to follow him on Instagram and say hello. He’s quite the pleasant fellow.
- Adam’s Website / Instagram / Dribbble
- Adam’s Online Hand Lettering Course for Beginners
- Colin Tierney – Basic / Pro / Professional Tiers for pricing your work
- Amy & Jen Hood of Hoodzpah
- Who’s Killing it: Zachary Kiernan & Ben Kocinski
- Dose of Inspiration: Grizzly Wheeler
- Podcast editor: Aine Brennan
- Podcast music: Blookah
Want to Support the Show?
- Become a backer on Patreon
- Leave an iTunes Rating and Review
- Share the show on social media or follow the Perspective Podcast Instagram
- Crypto Donation Support
- Bitcoin: 1j5vE64PWgkJHGnGSrAiJK82bnfn7fBgu
- Ethereum: 0xFf60588C873E34235dE371450d58129d8d7cAC16
- Litecoin: LerTFZfvtW4iH7qJM8vSE9mkdQA24yKmB6
- Subscribe via your favorite podcast player: