This episode is brought to you by Industry Print Shop
Get started in the merch game by taking advantage of this PODCAST LISTENER ONLY DEAL. When requesting a quote at IndustryPrintShop.com, mention Promo Code PERSPECTIVE to receive Free Screen setup up to $120 OR get 100 free 3×3″ die-cut stickers on any NEW MINIMUM orders placed.
Leveling the Playing Field & Proving Your Humanity
If you’re a creative like me, you deal with imposter syndrome, burnout, finding time to make personal work, and trying to make something meaningful.
Some people refuse to admit these “flaws” publicly, as they feel it would tarnish their potential professional perception. In my eyes, showing the world that you’re human attracts more people to you—no matter if you’re a wide-eyed rookie or a polished vet in the game.
No one has it all figured out, no matter how hard someone tries to convince you otherwise.
We appreciate knowing that the people we admire struggle with the same things we do—at least I do. It levels the playing field and empowers us to take it up a notch because if they can do it, we can too.
Battling Comparison, Fighting Burnout, and Crushing Your Grind with Nick Slater
Queue today’s guest, Nick Slater, illustrator and design Goliath slanging jaw-dropping work out of the Bay Area. He’s worked with big brands like Lyft, Slack, Twitter, Asana, Zendesk, Airstream, Epicurrence, and The Washington Post.
His creativity, diverse skillset, and frequent output certainly may persuade you he’s a robot. However, with how open he is about the struggles we all deal with, reminds you he’s definitely human just like the rest of us.
That’s what I love most about Nick—he’s got big-time work, but doesn’t have a big head.
In today’s episode, Nick Slater and I go into the nitty gritty about:
- Getting caught in the comparison trap even after you’ve “made it”
- Making time to grind outside a day job
- Fighting burnout by finding new outlets
- Looking inside to create impactful work outside
- What his last slice of pizza would be if he was on death row
This one is going to give you all the feels and set a fire under your ass to push to the next level as we finish this week and year strong.
View this post on Instagram
I recently worked on an illustration for @slackhq about making astronomical discoveries in Slack. I collaborated with @theonlymaria on a tight turn around for the illustration. To make it even better, @theonlymaria redesigned the @slackhq blog that now my illustration is up and live on. So excited about this project. I hope y’all like the illustration and the work @theonlymaria on the blog redesign. It is 👌😱!
Enjoying this episode?
You know the drill! Take a screenshot or share a video of the episode you’re listening to and tag me on IG @perspectivepodcast and let me know what you think. I enjoy the hell out of connecting with you each week there.
- Connect with Nick: Website | Instagram | Dribbble | Twitter
- Listener of the Week: Aloysiusrichtofen
- Podcast Editor: Aine Brennan
- Shownotes Editor: Paige Garland
- Podcast music: Blookah
Want to Support the Show?
- Become a backer on Patreon
- Leave an Apple Podcast Rating and Review
- Share the show on social media or follow the Perspective Podcast Instagram
- Crypto Donation Support
- Bitcoin: 1j5vE64PWgkJHGnGSrAiJK82bnfn7fBgu
- Ethereum: 0xFf60588C873E34235dE371450d58129d8d7cAC16
- Litecoin: LerTFZfvtW4iH7qJM8vSE9mkdQA24yKmB6
- Subscribe via your favorite podcast player: