Peeling Open the Bandaid as a Creative
In my opinion, being a creative is the greatest gift I’ve been given. At the same time, though, being a creative can be a curse.
If you’re like me, you tend to overthink, constantly self-doubt, and highly criticize yourself and your abilities. Add the pressures of building a brand on social media and the comparison that comes with it…and it’s no wonder why so many of us struggle with mental health conditions.
It’s hard enough to live with depression, anxiety, disorders, and addictions every day. More often than not, it’s hard to open up and talk about it while maintaining the drive to create a fun and fruitful future doing what you love.
Opening up about your struggles opens you up to being put under a microscope. However, I feel when we do open up about our story, it makes us more human and gives others permission to embrace their imperfect story.
View this post on Instagram
You know what’s crazy? I started working with Cheerios exactly 3 years ago today which led me down this wild path of food lettering I never could’ve imagined. So I think it’s fitting to share today my most recent social ad created for @walmart with @monoagency, @johnny_miller_ (photography) and @alisonhoekstra (styling). I can’t wait to see what the next three years have up their sleeves 🙃 #typeirl #lettering #foodlettering #tactiletype #stopmotionanimation @goodtype @typography_and_calligraphy
Mental Health, Social Media, & the Secret World of Pricing with Ari Woeste
Queue today’s guest: Ari Woeste, an independent lettering artist and art director out of Minneapolis, MN, who’s especially a force with tactile and food lettering. She’s crushed projects for some of the biggest brands in the world like Wal-Mart, Polo Ralph Lauren, General Mills, and Yoplait (to name a few).
Ari has an incredible story filled with humility, and she’s not afraid to open up about the ups and downs of her creative career.
On today’s episode, Ari and I get super deep into:
- Battling with the inner critic and comparison
- Dealing with the dark side of social media and mental health
- Tackling the rollercoaster world of freelance and pricing
- Taking yourself seriously and following your intuition
- And her new dog @kylethepupper
This one is going to hit home with you no matter where you are on your creative grind.
View this post on Instagram
Posting this as I eat maple flavored yogurt and sipping on homemade cider sweetened with maple syrup.. MAPLE IS HAVING A MOMENT is right! 🍁🤤 // swipe right to see bts and more of my piece for @unitedhealthcare’s ReNew magazine. #typeirl with maple syrup made possible by the generous friends at @byrdandbelle for making this delicate acetate laser cut possible! (And massive shoutout to @alockstadt for making it happen!) ☺️
- Connect with Ari: Instagram 1 | Instagram 2 | Website
- Kyle the Pupper IG: @kylethepupper
- Hoodzpah Design – FABAS Book
- Listener of the Week: emilyroseartistry
- Podcast Editor: Aine Brennan
- Shownotes Editor: Paige Garland
- Podcast music: Blookah
Want to Support the Show?
- Become a backer on Patreon
- Leave an Apple Podcast Rating and Review
- Share the show on social media or follow the Perspective Podcast Instagram
- Crypto Donation Support
- Bitcoin: 1j5vE64PWgkJHGnGSrAiJK82bnfn7fBgu
- Ethereum: 0xFf60588C873E34235dE371450d58129d8d7cAC16
- Litecoin: LerTFZfvtW4iH7qJM8vSE9mkdQA24yKmB6
- Subscribe via your favorite podcast player: