Ready to Dance?
As you know I want this show to encourage you to carve out time to build something for yourself whether that’s outside a day job or other life commitments. This show also exists to have the hard conversations we as creatives find it easier to neglect.
Today is definitely one of those hard conversations but I think it’s extremely important to bring to light. As you know I deal with anxiety every day, but other times I go through episodes of brain fog and depression. These used to be things I never talked about, but sharing it helps me work through them and allows people like you to know you’re not alone.
This is the exact reason for having today’s guest Brad Weaver and Tara Victoria on the show.
These two are partners that live in Atlanta doing Content Strategy, product design and branding for lifestyle brands through their business The Banner Years. Recently we linked up at Circles Conference as they were the keynote closing talk.
The Shore: Be a Lighthouse
The focus of the talk was to bring awareness to their new side project, The Shore. The Shore is a metaphor in which we’ll talk more in depth about in this episode. They spoke about the hard topics of being a creative and dealing with vulnerability, comparison, anxiety and depression. Safe to say their talk had the room captivated and left the attendees leaving on a note of solidarity.
I jumped at the opportunity to get them on the show so we could continue this conversation.
In this episode they:
- Cover the scientific link between creatives with anxiety and depression
- Discuss creating a community of solidarity over isolated individuals
- Give a ton of practical tips on how to battle comparison and becoming your most authentic self
I hope this episode lets you know that you’re not alone while giving you steps towards working through whatever it is you’re dealing with.
Want to help the show grow?
- Kill imposter syndrome and realize your 1st draft will always be someone’s finished piece (and vice versa).
- Stop comparing your bloopers to someone’s highlights.
- We are all broken in some way so be authentic with your story.
- Don’t be consumed by the fact that people don’t always consume what you put out.
- Identify your negative centers.
- Done is better than perfect—be okay with okay.
- The Banner Years: Website | Twitter | Dribbble | Instagram
- Brad Weaver: Twitter | Instagram
- Tara Victoria: Twitter | Instagram
- The Shore: Website | Instagram
- Creative Truth Book
- Brené Brown
- Jen Sincero – You Are a Badass Book
- Circles Conference
- Podcast Music by Blookah